Thursday, June 10, 2010

My Talk at the Women's Re: Conference with Urban Youth Workers Institute

My husband, Andrew Marin posted this (link)http://www.loveisanorientation.com/2010/brendas-powerful-talk/ on his blog about the talk I did in Miami. These were some of the tweats he sent out during the conversation. There was a question asked about what I meant about traditional beliefs/values and I will answer that question in the next blog post. However, I thought I would post this first. I hope you enjoy! It was a very exciting time for me and I was humbled that Urban Youth Workers Institute invited me to share. I must admit I was definitely bit with the speaking bug because I would love to do it some more!!! So if anyone out there needs a female speaker at their event I am your woman!!!

Brenda’s Powerful Talk



June 9, 2010 · 5 comments

Oh how I wish you all could have been in Miami on Friday when Brenda brought the house down. For those of you who aren’t on Twitter (I am @LovesMeSomeYou), here are some of the comments I tweeted from her talk about living distinctly within the realms of feminism, the church and culture:

“This (homosexuality/bridge building) might be Andrew’s calling, but it has become our ministry.”


“Women should never be a ‘yes’ person. We’re not just a help-mate, we’re more. We’re equal partners & have to start reclaiming that outlook.”


“All the women in the Bible used their knowledge, power and influence (whether big or small) to get their Kingdom jobs finished. That’s a model for me.”


“Feminist isn’t a bad word. But it’s become one in the Church so men could stay in power. I’m a feminist with traditional values and that scares people.”


“I’m in the first female generation that the feminist movement fought for, and we’re still empty and searching to find ourselves…”


“Thank you Lord for blessing woman with such uniqueness. Who cares if the church or culture gets it or not.”


“Christians call me an Alpha-Female. I prefer to say I’m a ‘hard-lined compassionate’. The incredible part about knowing yourself in Christ is that it makes you strong!”


“I told myself I wasn’t going to be defined by what was traditionally expected of me….”


“I was going to do and be whatever I wanted to be and accomplish all of my goals no matter the cultural or Church disgust. And I STILL love the Lord! Many feel that combination of things is impossible.”


“There’s a vision for the future to combine femininity and traditional beliefs. Until we woman believe that it’s never going to happen.”


Much love.

No comments: